easy way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.1 (including port packages)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Oct 27 08:58:55 PDT 2008

martinko <gamato at users.sf.net> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > martinko <gamato at users.sf.net> wrote:
 > > > 1)  I wonder if I could use mergemaster to compare 2 directories and
 > > > merge differencies as neccessary.  To explain: I have all config files I
 > > > touch saved with full path somewhere in /root.  And therefore I'd like
 > > > mergemaster or some other tool to compare all files in my backup
 > > > directory with newly installed (config) files.
 > >
 > > You can use mergemaster against any directory, not just
 > > /etc.  This is especially useful when perforing a binary
 > > update, a cross update or similar things.
 > >

 > No, you cannot.

Yes, You can.  I've done it several times.  And I'm sure
I'm not hallucinating.  :-)

 > I have all config files I edited saved with full path under my backup
 > directory and I would like to use mergemaster or something similar to
 > compare and merge my changes (perhaps from other machine).  But if you
 > try to use mergemaster (you need to specify both -m and -D)

You only need -m if you have installed the source somewhere
else than /usr/src.

 > it would try
 > to run make (1) which fails since there is no Makefile in my backup dir. :-(

You have to it runs make(1) in /usr/src/etc (unless you
override the path with -m) which contains a Makefile.
If it doesn't, you haven't installed the system sources
correctly.

>From your description it sounds as if you used -m to
point to your modified etc files.  That's wrong.  Please
follow the instructions that I explained in my previous
mail message.  It works.  As I said, I've done it plenty
of times.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek