6.4 RC1 locks up solid on first reboot

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Fri Oct 24 17:37:52 PDT 2008

| By Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com>
|                                          [ 2008-10-24 21:13 +0200 ]
> On Oct 22, 2008, at 9:27 PM, Milan Obuch wrote:
> >I did not investigate on this issue too much, but there is an
> >workaround -
> >copy older /boot/loader over newer one. In my case, I am rebuilding
> >whole
> >world often, and now /boot/loader seems to not build correctly for
> >me. Older
> >one is ~ 250 kB, rebuilt will be ~ 185 kB, and freezes.
>
> 6.4's boot loader is 221k
> 6.3's boot loader is 217k
>
> Copying 6.3 boot loader to the 6.4 solved the keyboard lockup problem,
> but it still panics during the boot.  At last now I get the entire
> panic to the serial console so I can cut/paste.

FWIW, I've had problems with 7.0's boot loader locking up too.  I'm running
a -stable compile from march and during bootup, if I make too many
keypresses the bootup sequence freezes.  Once loader has handed off to the
kernel then everything's fine, but I can't make any use of loader's or
bootX's command lines without the system freezing.  I'm careful not to touch
my keyboard during bootup!

Keyboard and mouse are both USB.

Regards,
Aragon