easy way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.1 (including port packages)

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Mon Oct 20 17:41:34 PDT 2008

Doug Barton wrote:

> The generally accepted wisdom (which I am repeating because I agree with
> it) is that when updating major versions you should:
>
> 1. Carefully back up your configuration files and data
> 2. Do a clean install of the new version
> 3. Update configuration files
> 4. Restore data
> 5. Re-install your ports.
>
> What I usually do for step 3 is to un-tar the old configuration files in
> a new directory and then diff -ur old/etc /etc, and after ports are
> installed I diff -ur old/usr/local/etc /usr/local/etc.
>
> For step 5, I have a recommended update procedure in the portmaster man
> page. Even if you don't intend to use portmaster to re-install your
> ports I recommend installing it and reading that part of the man page
> before you do your update to get an idea of what is important for you to
> restore.

Doug,

1)  I wonder if I could use mergemaster to compare 2 directories and
merge differencies as neccessary.  To explain: I have all config files I
touch saved with full path somewhere in /root.  And therefore I'd like
mergemaster or some other tool to compare all files in my backup
directory with newly installed (config) files.

2)  I have a file with list of ports I usually install and I created
script that try to install them.  This is quite useful after `pkg_delete
-a`.  Now I can do it with `portupgrade -iN $plist` but I haven't
figured how I can make portmaster to do the same.

Any suggestions please ?

Thank you,

Martin