rl0: watchdog timeout + 40, 000 ms ping with 7.1-BETA-i386-disc1.iso

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Thu Oct 16 15:32:39 PDT 2008

Hi stable@ & I added re@

Detail at foot of mail.

Reference:

"Julian Stacey" wrote:
> Hi,
> Reference:
> > From:		Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>
> > Date:		Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:34:07 -0700
> > Message-id:	<20080928193407.GA87069 at icarus.home.lan>
>
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:21:19AM +0200, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Reference:

> > > I'm wrong it is Not working.
> > > 	(I typed my own own card address of 192.168.x.x by mistake,
> > > 	not the 192.168.x.x of another host on net. )
> > >
> > > Ive fiddled more with BIOS IRQ to no good effect
> > > 	(not suprsing, dont understand some options in BIOS & no
> > > 	MOtherboard manual for this Award BIOS 2A6LGB09, on box:
> > > 	fujitsu siemens t-bird
> > >
> > > I was wondering if setting anything to polling might help a bit
> > > I went looking with syctl -a -d | grep hw.pci
> > >
> > >    hw.pci.enable_msi: 1
> > >    hw.pci.enable_msi: Enable support for MSI interrupts
> > >    hw.pci.enable_msix: 1
> > >    hw.pci.enable_msix: Enable support for MSI-X interrupts
> >
> > You could try disabling MSI and MSI-X in loader.conf to see if that
> > makes a difference.
> >
> >   hw.pci.enable_msi="0"
> >   hw.pci.enable_msix="0"
>
> OK Thanks, I just switched back from an xl ro an rl card,
> I just tried above sysctl s, no help.
>
> BTW I dont know if ifconfig -a should show word polling, but it does not.
>

> Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> > Can you see 'rl0: link state changed to UP' message in dmesg after
> > you assign an IP address to rl0?
> > Would you show me the 'ifconfig rl0' output?
>
> With an rc.conf of
> 	# media 10baseT/UTP
> 	# media 100baseTX
> 	# media full-duplex
> 	# media half-duplex
> 	ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.91.64 media 100baseTX polling"
> 	ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.91.64 polling"
> 	inetd_enable="YES"
> before enet cable plugged in I see
> 	rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> 		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
> 		ether 00:08:a1:6d:65:07
> 		inet 192.168.91.64 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.91.255
> 		media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
> 		status: no carrier
> & after plug in I see:
> 	rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> 		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
> 		ether 00:08:a1:6d:65:07
> 		inet 192.168.91.64 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.91.255
> 		media: Ethernet 100baseTX
> 		status: active
> & I see in dmesg
> 	rl0: link state changed to UP
>
> I suspect I perhaps have something fundamental wrong with BIOS or PC
> or similar. May be nothing to do with 7.1-BETA ?
> I think Id better perhaps try with 7.0-RELEASE if you guys dont mind.
> Hmm I'll dig out a spare disc rather than erase 7.1BETA then I can
> test with either if you have any more ideas.

Disk re-sliced with FDISK'd into 3 bootables:.
	6.0-RELEASE works rl0 with No Problem.
	7.1-BETA-i386-disc1.iso reinstalled, same as before, fails as before.
	6.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso loading from slow cdrom, wiil test next
		+ building 6.3 DESTDIR on another host.
	7.1-BETA2-i386-disc1.iso loading from net
	6.4-RC will load next from net.

So that PC's BIOS is quite happy to work with 6.0, so not my hardware
at fault, So FreeBSD seems to have some regression error problem
(& from my earlier posts, its not just an rl0 problem as I saw same
problem when I swapped a card to xl0).

I'll report back tomorrow when I know more. No point asking more
questions just yet, as all I know so far was answered & is in archive
of this thread, & I cant do more till downloads & builds complete.

So this post just to say the problem I reported is probably not
dismissable just as weird hardware.

Cheers,
Julian
--