Status of Flash 9 on stable

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Thu Oct 16 12:56:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008, at 22:28:58 +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> Patches have been committed to CURRENT and should have been MFC'ed
> last weekend, but haven't for some reason.
>
> The port has a PR waiting for maintainer feedback:
>
> The relevant thread on emulation@ is:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2008-September/005311.html
> (continues in October archives)

Hi.

I'm using RELENG_7 as of yesterday which appears to have the linprocfs
fixes from CURRENT, and I also updated linux-flashplayer9 with the
patch from the above PR.

When trying to use Flash 9 in linux-opera a few Flash items work (such
as Adobe's test page which confirms it is using version 9 and sound
does work on the rollovers there), but most things including YouTube
videos or videos from other sites either do not play at all and lock up
immediately or play for a few seconds and then lock up:

----------------
opera: Plug-in 90514 is not responding. It will be closed.
opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep
blocked plug-ins.
----------------

Trying with linux-firefox and linux-firefox-devel gives similar
results except Firefox crashes entirely on most Flash sites.

I was using linux_base-fc4 and 2.4.2 however I updated to linux_base-f8
and 2.6.16 since I saw others in the above emulation@ thread having
success with f8. There doesn't seem to be any change with f8.

Is this still the expected behavior? I'm not sure if these fixes were
supposed to fix everything related to Flash 9 or if there are still
things to be done, so I'm just giving it a try and posting the results.
I am running amd64 by the way.

Thanks very much in advance,

-Mark
FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #14: Thu Oct 16 00:12:09 CDT 2008 amd64

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)