am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Oct 13 05:36:21 PDT 2008

On Saturday 11 October 2008 07:13:16 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:30:57AM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:29:37 -0300
> >
> > JoaoBR <joao at matik.com.br> wrote:
> > > I tried MBs as Asus, Abit and Gigabyte all same result
> > >
> > > Same hardware with SATA works perfect
> > >
> > > Same hardware with scsi up to 3.5Gigs installed works perfect
> > >
> > > what calls my attention that all this MBs do not have the memroy hole
> > > remapping feature so the complete 4gigs are available what normally was
> > > not the case with amd64 Mbs for the Athlon 64 CPUs
> > >
> > > some has an opinion if this is a freebsd issue or MB falure or scsi drv
> > > problem?
> >
> > It's a driver problem.  If you want to use SCSI then you'll have to limit
> > memory to 3.5 GB.
>
> What you're saying is that Adaptec and LSI Logic SCSI controllers behave
> badly (and can cause data loss) on amd64 systems which contain more than
> 3.5GB of RAM.  This is a very big claim.
>
> Have you talked to Scott Long about this?
>
> Please expand on this, and provide evidence or references.  I need to
> document this in my Wiki if it is indeed true.

I have an Asus AM2 Mb which support ECC mem and at least with the Adaptec raid
card (aacd) the problem does not happen (when ECC support enabled) I did 10x
buildworld, ahc and mpt still same issue, first build cracks the data on
da0s1a

>On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:30:57AM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> It's a driver problem.  If you want to use SCSI then you'll have to limit
> memory to 3.5 GB.

well indeed with less then 4G installed it works flawless, so the difference I
see is that former athln64 MBs had memory hole remap options or when 4Gig
installed they only gave 3.something to the OS even under amd64 - this is NOT
the case with the AM2 MBs which should support up to 8/16Mb onboard but wth
this amount freebsd amd64 does not even boot when a scsi adaptor is installed

--

João