am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Sun Oct 12 09:14:03 PDT 2008

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:52:50 -0700
> Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> [big snip]
>> Is your LSI SAS controller driven by mpt(4) or mfi(4)?
>>
>> Let's break down what we know for sure at this point:
>>
>> aac(4) - not affected
>> aha(4) - unknown
>> ahb(4) - unknown
>> ahc(4) - affected
>> ahd(4) - unknown; no one answered the OP's question in the thread
>
> I asked Scott whether he thought ahd would be affected, but he never
> responded.  I was thinking about getting a PCIe controller but then
> I dropped the idea due to lack of funds for experimentation.

Sorry for not responding back in Jan.  I have a hard time recommending
the 29320/39320 cards because of the long history they have with
incompatibilities with certain U320 drives.  I don't think that the
driver will be affected by memory size, but I haven't run it in several
years, and it could have rotted like ahc apparently did (though I still
have a hard time imagining how the rot could have taken place, hardly
anything has changed in the driver over the years).

Scott