6.3-p5 watchdog timer not being disabled

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 06:08:49 PDT 2008

Patrick Lamaizière wrote:
> Le Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:07:06 -0400,
> Stephen Clark <sclark46 at earthlink.net> a écrit :
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> We have 2 different platforms that we are trying to use the watchdog
>> timer and watchdogd program on. One is a Soekris 5501:
>> CPU: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS (433.25-MHz 586-class
>> CPU) Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x5a2  Stepping = 2
>>    Features=0x88a93d<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,CX8,SEP,PGE,CMOV,CLFLUSH,MMX>
>>    AMD Features=0xc0400000<MMX+,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
>
>> The other is a:
>> CPU: VIA C3 Nehemiah+RNG (1002.28-MHz 686-class CPU)
>>    Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x694  Stepping = 4
>>    Features=0x380b03d<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
>>
>> According to the manpage on watchdogd if is killed with either SIGTERM
>> or SIGINT it is suppose to disable the watchdog timer in the kernel so
>> the system won't reboot.
>>
>> On both of the above platforms this does not work and the platforms
>> reboot when watchdogd is killed with a kill pid,
>> after the timeout value (-t) that had been specified to watchdogd
>> when starting it has elapsed.
>> Am I misunderstanding how this is suppose to work?
>
> No, i have tested on my net5501 on freebsd-current. It works.
>
> Can you try with watchdog -d -t <time> followed by a watchdog -t 0 to
> disable the watchdog ?
>
> There is a problem on the net5501 when you disable and then re-enable
> the watchdog after the timer has elapsed: the box reboots immediatly.
> But you can disable the timer.
>
> Regards.

You are correct if I kill watchdogd then run watchdog -t 0 the box does not
reboot. The problem is the with the watchdogd program if it is killed with a
sigtint or sigterm it is suppose to disable the watchdog timer and exit. It is
not appear to be disabling the timer, because my box is rebooting.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)