6.3-p5 watchdog timer not being disabled

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 8 12:07:09 PDT 2008

Hello List,

We have 2 different platforms that we are trying to use the watchdog timer and
watchdogd program on. One is a Soekris 5501:
CPU: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS (433.25-MHz 586-class CPU)
   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x5a2  Stepping = 2
   Features=0x88a93d<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,CX8,SEP,PGE,CMOV,CLFLUSH,MMX>
   AMD Features=0xc0400000<MMX+,3DNow!+,3DNow!>

The other is a:
CPU: VIA C3 Nehemiah+RNG (1002.28-MHz 686-class CPU)
   Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x694  Stepping = 4
   Features=0x380b03d<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

According to the manpage on watchdogd if is killed with either SIGTERM
or SIGINT it is suppose to disable the watchdog timer in the kernel so
the system won't reboot.

On both of the above platforms this does not work and the platforms
reboot when watchdogd is killed with a kill pid,
after the timeout value (-t) that had been specified to watchdogd
when starting it has elapsed.

Am I misunderstanding how this is suppose to work?

Thanks for the elucidation,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)