stable 7.0 and nslookup help command

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Oct 7 15:44:25 PDT 2008

More importantly, dig(1) uses the standard resolver routines while
nslookup has its own. This has, in some cases, resulted in different
results from nslookup than for what the stub resolver returns which can
really lead one down the primrose path when troubleshooting.

I consider nslookup to be evil. host(1) and dig(1) work well and I have
not seen any plans to deprecate host(1). It's just that host is a quick
lookup tool while dig(1) is a serious tool for DNS analysis and testing.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)