Regression 7.0R -> 7-stable?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 7 14:25:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 04:15:34PM +0200, Gerrit Kühn wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:02:56 -0400 John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote
> about Re: Regression 7.0R -> 7-stable?:
>
> JB> Do you have more details about the crash?  Are you getting an actual
> JB> panic with messages on the console, or are you still seeing hangs?
>
> Like it was before: system just hangs after displaying the probing
> messages about the CPU cores; next step for a working kernel would be
> mounting of the file systems (and changing from white kernel output to grey
> system output).

Actually, I think you mean mounting of the root filesystem, do you not?

If so, others have recently reported this problem (hard lock-ups before
or after printing "Mounting root from...").

> JB> When you get a hang, can you break into the debugger and get a crash
> JB> dump?
>
> Is there a documentation somewhere how to do this?

John can probably help you with the commands you need to type, but the
FreeBSD Handbook goes over the general commands.

As far as getting into the debugger, it's Control-Alt-Esc from the
console.