reloading samba config made system unresponsible

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Tue Oct 7 12:41:45 UTC 2008

Bartosz Stec wrote:
> My tries to tune smb.conf to achieve better performance expose very
> strange bug:
> Just executing:
>
>    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba reload
>
> made my system unresponsible from network. It happens three times
> until now so I'm sure that is the cause (but it happened after some
> succesful reloads a couple of minutes earlier, so it's not happening
> all the time command is executed).
> Symptoms:
>
>    - machine only responding to ping requests
>    - ssh session shows, that config reload was succesful, and that's
>    last thing showed (no shell after message)
>    - can't connect with another ssh session, but no refuse nor timeout
>    - on local console system seems responsible (alt +[1-9] works), but
>    any try to login cause it to wait forever for password prompt
>    - no kernel or error message on screen, and nothing suspicious in logs
>    - alt+ctrl+del does nothing
>    - pressing power button and waiting for system to shutdown does
> nothing
>    - hard reset was the only way
>    - after first restart I've made full fsck and started rebuilding
>    gmirror - when machine hangs second time rebuilding doesn't stop
>
> I'm not a developer but it looks like some kind of deadlock? Note that
> changes I made to smb.conf was only in socket options.

Update:
    The true reason of this was a filesystem - I've noticed some strange
kernel message about "old format snaphot". Fsck didn't found any fs
error, so I just deleted all snapshots from /usr. Problem is gone now.
Note that snapshots were about 2 months old so it's still scary :)
Sorry for confusion.

--
Bartosz Stec