fxp performance with POLLING

Pieter de Goeje pdegoeje at service2media.com
Fri Oct 3 15:06:23 UTC 2008

On Friday 03 October 2008, Bartosz Stec wrote:
> Hello again :)
>
> With POLLING enabled I experience about 10%-25% performance drop when
> copying files over network. Tested with both SAMBA and NFS. Is it normal?

Yes. You don't want to use polling unless you set kern.hz to 10000 or
something in that range. If you have a NIC with interrupt moderation, polling
should almost never be necessary. Note that polling can still be useful for
routers, because it allows you to have a much more responsive system even
when handling heavy network traffic.

--
Pieter de Goeje