proposed change to support policy for FreeBSD Releases

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Oct 1 19:37:35 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> I'm not clear on how this helps.  We don't know if there will be a
> need to produce a 6.5 release, so there's no way to judge whether 6.4
> should be designated "final" or not.  The only logical answer is to do
> so, which leaves a substantial chance that there will end up being
> more than one "final" release on the 6.x line.  That's not a
> particularly desirable situation.
>
> In fact, it's worse, because if 6.5 happens, it will probably be
> because there were problems with 6.4 serious enough that we'd rather
> people move to 6.5 anyway (at least for critical systems).

You are exactly right.  I am proposing that we stop trying to guess
whether or not it is a final release.

A release will be supported until the next release + N months (N is
currently being debated I guess) or 24 months if there is no followup
release.

This effectively solves both of the problems you've very accurately
named above.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness