ATA APM and NCQ support in FreeBSD atacontrol

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Mon May 12 07:45:41 UTC 2008

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

> > Your cries are heard by some, but I'm left believing Soren is just super
> > busy with real life.  I consider this even more justification that the ATA
> > layer in FreeBSD needs additional eyes familiar with it, and not just a
> > single person.
>
> No argument here.  Soren does an incredible job maintaining ATA as it is
> and I am very grateful that he has put as much of his time into the
> project as he has.  (Thanks Soren!)

I am too, but PRs that are 2 years old which include patches for severe
bugs that affect reliability of RAID is (in my opinion) not acceptable.
I've been spanked over saying this before ("you don't understand how
open source works"), but necessity easily supercedes idealism.

Linux's libata has evolved very quickly and very well, and has multiple
eyes familiar with the code (in the case the author takes vacation,
etc.).  It has the upper hand here.