FreeBSD freezing at random

Marian Hettwer mh at kernel32.de
Mon Mar 31 07:55:04 PDT 2008

Hi there,

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:35:51 +0200, "Mikkel Skærris" <trinitor at gmail.com>
wrote:
> My system is a IBM T40 laptop, and i has been running FreeBSD for more
> than two years without ANY problems at all. But a couple of days ago
The most obvious one would be "bad hardware".

> my 7.0 intallation began freezing at random, without any log messages
> or anything. Same thing happens on a fresh installation of 6.3. Often
> the screen flickers, and blacks out, as if the screen conection was
> loose or something, but it isnt. And I cant seem to pinpoint the
> problem, to any certain area. Though the windows installtion (dual
> boot) works completely fine.

When you say it "freezes" is the machine still ping'able from another
machine in your network?
You could start a script like "vmstat 1 >> /tmp/vmstat.log" or similar
which runs all the time to get one of the latest log entries.
/var/log/messages is really empty when your box freezes?
Is X running while this is happening?

regards,
Marian