USB-Serial converters [Was: Panic with usb serial]

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 29 17:20:30 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:34:30PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 03:20:49PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > Also, I'd like to know what USB serial adapter you're using (brand,
> > model, and a website of it if possible), for unrelated reasons.  Thanks!
>
> The "Cables Unlimited" USB-Serial adapter from TigerDirect[1] is based on
> the FTDI chipset and works really well.  It supports up to 1MBps and can
> do non-standard rates (in -CURRENT).
>
> That said, we've got pretty comprehensive support for USB-serial
> converters.  I've bought five or six different ones, with the "Cables
> Unlimited" one being the most expensive, and they're all supported.  The
> cheaper ones I've tried either don't do arbitrary rates, support only up
> to 115200, or occasionally drop characters under continuous communication
> though.
>
> [1] http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1104139&CatId=447

I was looking to pick up a few (one for my laptop which lacks a serial
port, and another for around-the-house usage, as serial ports are
becoming less and less common on motherboards) which did 9600, 19200,
38400, 57600, and (primarily) 115200 bps reliably and worked with
FreeBSD.

That adapter is exactly what I'm looking for!  Thanks much!  :-)