Generic 2-port PCI Express Serial Card - how to get recognized?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Mar 28 21:32:53 PDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Karl Denninger wrote:
> Hi folks;
>
> I have a "generic" PCI Express "dumb" (16550 allegedly) serial card
> that goes in a PCI Express slot.
>
> FreeBSD doesn't see it, which I assume has to do with the card's
> "vendor ID" not being in the table that FreeBSD reocognizes.
>
> How do I get the ID from the probe (and/or probe the bus when the
> machine is running?) - I assume I could add the vendor ID to the
> sio_pci.c module and it MIGHT work, yes?
>
> It doesn't have a specific brand and documentation is basically
> "zilch"; I figured it might work right out of the box, but so far, no
> joy.

Have you tried loading puc? Unfortunately I think you will need to
recompile your kernel because it is not in GENERIC and not available as
a module.

Look at /usr/src/sys/dev/puc/pucdata.c for a list of vendor/device IDs
(and add yours if it isn't there).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum