Mounting devfs over to ZFS from fstab fails

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Fri Mar 28 07:16:57 PDT 2008

Hello,

I have some jails running on ZFS, so I have to mount devfs's into them.

For this purpose, I have some similar lines in /etc/fstab:
devfs   /pool/jail/ldap/dev           devfs   rw      0       0

Where /pool is a ZFS filesystem.

This has worked until today -when I upgraded from a previous 7-STABLE
(FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #16: Fri Mar  7 14:30:08 CET 2008) to today's
STABLE- but not anymore.

The boot process fails with something like WARNING: $true wasn't set,
see man rc.conf (or something similar, I don't have the exact error
message, but I can reproduce if it's needed), and the problem is that
the rc scripts try to mount the devfs (and nullfs) stuff to the yet
unmounted ZFS, so /pool/jail/ldap/dev doesn't exist.

If I create them on the root filesystem, the OS boots up fine, but of
course I don't have the devfs's mounted onto ZFS, they are beneath it
(umount and mount -a solves the issue). There is a similar problem with
nullfs's as well.

AFAIK only the following has been changed in rc.d:
./dhclient
./mountcritlocal
./mountlate

neither of them seems to be able to produce this kind of malfunction.

Any ideas?