inetd and freebsd service jail

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:05:10 PDT 2008

On 3/27/08, Ruben Lara <bermejator at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello everyone!
>
>  Is it possible that inetd launch services inside service jails?
>
>  Let me explain, I have a jail for pureftpd service, it is possible that inetd from the main system launch FTP server inside the jail?
>  If not so, i don't uderstand advantage of to have an inetd service listening inside each jail...
>
>  Thank you
>  Ruben Lara

No, this is not possible, but it is possible to run the pureftp
service inside a chroot so that it only has access to the files you
provide copies of in the chroot.

This is the way to secure individual services that are part of a main
box,  a jail is a way to run a whole second server inside the first
one.

There are advantages to both approaches, but sometimes one is better
than the other.

give chroot a try, and inetd can launch the command line to start
pureftpd in a chroot no problem.