ad0 READ_DMA TIMEOUT errors on install of 7.0-RELEASE

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 25 01:43:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 08:32:07AM +0100, Gianni wrote:
> On 22/mar/08, at 04:52, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 06:27:19PM +0100, Gianni Doe wrote:
>>> I'm also experiencing this issue after upgrading to 7.0-RELEASE from 6.3
>> The most I can provide is here:
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues
>
>> Workaround: Set hw.ata.ata_dma=0 in /boot/loader.conf. This will disable
>> use of DMA in the ATA/SATA subsystem;
>
> I'm afraid the workaround doesn't work for me, I set hw.ata.ata_dma="0" in
> loader.conf and the problem still occurs.
> Just to double-check...
> # sysctl hw.ata.ata_dma
> hw.ata.ata_dma: 0

Are you using PATA or SATA disks?

The individual who recommended disabling DMA via loader.conf said "it
worked for him", but he wa using PATA disks.  No one was able to
confirm/deny if hw.ata.ata_dma toggles DMA capability on SATA, but it
was stated "I would assume so?"  I can dig up the exact thread if you
want.

It sounds like that workaround method might only apply to PATA.  If
that's the case, I'll update my Wiki page.