Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Michael Gratton michael at quuxo.com
Mon Mar 24 23:11:01 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 23:01 -0700, Chris H. wrote:
> changes, simply add
> include conf/custom1.conf
> include conf/custom2.conf
> include conf/custom... etc... to the http[s]d.conf, and the custom
> changes/additions are sucked in "magically". Apache has been like that
> since the very beginning. I don't see where Linux has improved on this
> at all.
[snip]
> use the following line in your http[s]d.conf file
> include vhost/*
> and your done. Linux had nothing to do with this. You can thank NCSA
> for this scheme. :)

Yes, Debian just does this by default.

This is in contrast to most (all?) FBSD ports that attempt to munge your
central config file when it needs to (e.g. modifying httpd.conf when
installing PHP[0]) or just don't bother, both of which are fails.

/Mike

[0] not that I'm alleging the PHP ports do this, but it's a good example
of when such a thing needs to happen.

--
Michael Gratton <michael at quuxo.com>
Quuxo Software <http://web.quuxo.com/>