Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Vincent Mialon vincent at netaktiv.com
Wed Mar 19 10:33:00 PDT 2008

Le Wednesday 19 March 2008 17:41:21 Vivek Khera, vous avez écrit :
> On Mar 19, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Michael Grant wrote:
> > My server is live and serving customers.  I can't afford to take the
> > box down for a whole day while I upgrade ports.  Is there any
> > intelligent way to do this?
>
> Here's what you do:
>
> 1) take one server at a time down from the load balancer/worker pool
> 2) upgrade it
> 3) put it back in service
> 4) go to step 1 until all servers are updated.

Why not installing FreeBSD 7 on a spare server or a workstation ? You can
build your own packages, rsync your confs and test.

When everything work, delete all packages on the old server. Make a
freebsd-upgrade install. Install all your previously builded packages and put
your confs back. The down time should not be too long I gess ?