[Working fix] Problems combining nss_ldap/pam_ldap with pam_mkhomedir in FreeBSD 7.0

Daniel Bond db at danielbond.org
Wed Mar 19 04:48:29 PDT 2008

Hello!

Dmitriy Kirhlarov wrote:
| Hi!
|
| Daniel Bond wrote:
|
|> I'm pretty sure my ldap.conf and nsswitch.conf are OK, but here they are
|> anyway:
|>

|> /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf -> openldap/ldap.conf
|> /usr/local/etc/ldap.conf -> openldap/ldap.conf
|
| I'm not sure is it correct.
| etc/ldap.conf and etc/openldap/ldap.conf -- different files for
| different purposes.
| etc/nss_ldap.conf -> etc/ldap.conf -- it's correct.

The ldap.conf file is only used for nss_ldap and pam_ldap, so I don't
suppose it really matters where the config-file resides.

|> port 389
|> ldap_version 3
|> bind_policy soft
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| Try replace to
| bind_policy hard
|
| Developers doesn't like "soft". I don't know why, but it periodically
| it's broken in new versions nss_ldap (2 time for last 3 years AFAIR).
| I'm not sure about current status. It must be tested.

You are absolutely correct, when I change *bind_policy* to *hard*, the
problem goes away, nss_ldap stops whining about contacting server in
/var/log/auth.log. SSH with pubkey-exchange or password authentication
also works with bind_policy hard.

Allthough it would be nice to have "bind_policy soft" working properly
(I'm still interested in fixing this if I can manage to track it down),
this is a sollution I'm quite happy with, and seems to work well. Thanks!