Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Marko Lerota mlerota at iskon.hr
Tue Mar 18 12:21:34 PDT 2008

Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> writes:

>> Then the servers. Why should I reinstall all my databases and such?
>> I always
>> liked that FreeBSD base (OS) is separated from packages. And no
>> matter what I do with the packages, my OS will always work. I don't
>> want dependency
>> hell like in Linux. Now you are telling me that my database might not work
>> after upgrade to a new version. Is that it?
>
> First, try to relax.

Sorry, but I'm pissed off now, not relax any more.

> portupgrade -faP requests to reinstall everything from precompiled
> packages.  It will only fall back to compiling them locally if the
> package is unavailable (e.g. for legal reasons).

It passed two days from portupgrade -faP, and it didn't finished yet.
To be worse, I have to do it again because the PC had to be rebooted.
So in the next 2-3 days I can sit with my PC and wait with him to
finish the upgrade. It will be three days because of Openoffice!@#!@#!@#!.
And I have to pray the god that I don't have the power loss.
Now apache and acroread doesn't work any more and I'm afraid that
I'll find some other stuff that don't work too.

So can anyone tell me this is not stupid??? Reinstalling all
applications because of upgrade? This can be called new
installation. Not upgrade.

Now I'm thinking that It would be much easier that I backup my files,
databases and other stuff and do fresh installation. But why????
So I can do the same thing when 8_0 comes out?

This is the worst thing that I found about FreeBSD for now.
This have to be changed or fixed somehow, because the upgrade
is not possible if you have lots of ports installed, and
certainly can't be called upgrade!

--
One cannot sell the earth upon which the people walk
                               			Tacunka Witco