recovering from the 6.3 xorg mess

Kurt Jaeger lists at c0mplx.org
Mon Mar 17 22:53:20 PDT 2008

Hi!

> > > I'd appreciate suggestions on how to get a working xorg from the mess 6.3
> > > shipped with. [...]

> > Basically, the problem is with the matrox board.

> I have run the Matrox G550 under both 6 and 7. I had some problems, but
> not too many. I do need to use xrandr to set up the proper resolution,
> though.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # Set 1280x1024 mode on second display
> xrandr --addmode VGA2 1280x1024
> # Set 1024x768 mode on second port (Why? Why not.)
> xrandr --addmode VGA2 1024x768
> # Set the second port to use 1280x1024
> xrandr --output VGA2 --mode 1280x1024

Try to run 1600x1200 dual-headed, I failed to get *that* to work.

It worked with the old xorg-6.x.

> If you have a dual-monitor setup, you need xf86-video-mga-1.9.100. The
> version in ports is mga-1.4.7. You will have to pull the old port out of
> cvs. The version was rolled back on Jan. 2, 2008 due to problems people
> were having with the new code,

While this probably works (I experimented with that but failed to
get 1600x1200 dual-head), it looks like a difficult thing to
maintain in the future.

I think matrox should provide a working hal for 7.3 8-)

> Let me know if you need a copy of my xorg.conf for this beast. The
> xrandr setup is a bit different from the old one.

Providing that would be definitly a good service.

I still have the old hardware ready to upgrade, too 8-)

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                        12 years to go !