HP ProLiant DL360 G5 success stories?

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Mon Mar 17 11:06:36 UTC 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:33:20AM +0100, Johan Str?m wrote:

>>> iLO2 ActiveX based remote console (Integrated KVM) can still do
>>> text only console without license but it doesn't work too well IMHO.
>>> The Java based console is the same, text will work out license but
>>> graphics
>>> mode and that includes certain VESA text modes.
>>>
>>> Standard iLO gives the graphical console and virtual media. On Blade
>>> servers
>>> the graphical access and virtual media is included. And the Advanced
>>> license
>>> gives extra stuff like integration into AD for authentication afik.
>>
>> How about SSH mode? SSH and view textmode at boot (serial rdr in bios
>> too?) and console @ serial in fbsd (bootloader and on). Does that
>> work
>> good or "not to well" either?
>> Lets hope it works out good now at least, I ordered the box, without
>> full license though, but I guess I can always get that later on if it
>> turns out to work like crap.. But for once I'm purchasing quality
>> brand hardware.. So it should work with me instead of against me... I
>> hope :)
>>
>> Thank you all for all of your replies!
>
> iLO1 (used on DL360 g3, g4, g4p and DL380 g3, g4) had text console
> via ssh and I have used it often because of cut+paste. Unfortunatly
> as far I know iLO2 (used on g5) does not support ssh text console.

Hm.. No not native text console, but the virtual serial port should
work under SSH if I'm reading the manual correct:

"
Although additional configuration steps are required to use Remote
Serial Console (as compared to using
the remote console or IRC), the Remote Serial Console allows telnet or
SSH users to interact with the
server remotely and without requiring an iLO 2 Advanced license and is
the only way a true text-based
remote console is presented by iLO 2.
"

If I've understood correct, the "text console" mode from iLO 1 is
removed all together in favor for graphical mode (the internal
workings have been changed).