recovering from the 6.3 xorg mess

peter stern pstern at 65north.com
Sun Mar 16 22:46:48 PDT 2008

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to get a working xorg from the mess 6.3
shipped with. I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2 and have never had much
trouble with it until the 6 branch was released. My hardware is pretty
generic Intel brand D865 motherboard, matrox g550 video. I don't customize
the kernel. I do clean installs not upgrades.

The xorg in 6.3 doesn't install much in the way of required drivers. I got
the mouse and keyboard drivers installed and also the mga driver. I have
run xorgconfig to create what seems like a working xorg.conf. Startx
brings up twm but only in 640x480. I cannot change modes. And yes, I have
mode lines defined. If I put the correct horizontal and vertical scan
rates in for my Viewsonic PT810 monitor, I get a screen display with lines
precessing through it. xdm gives the same result.

I have tried the other suggestions on configuring X in the FreeBSD
handbook, including creating a basic xorg.conf. It tests okay but only in
640x480 and it has no modelines in the .conf. Adding modelines doesn't fix
the problem.

The initial install was done by sysinstall under the predefined
xdeveloper selection. I tried reinstalling xorg from ports by running make
deinstall and make reinstall but with no change in behavior.

My hardware has no problems running Slackware 12 or Openbsd 4.2. Under
those OSs, X11 works fine and configures without problems.

What has happened to quality control in the FreeBSD release?

peter