broken MBR

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 12 12:46:25 UTC 2008

Marko Lerota wrote:
> Insted of F1 I get F-| on boot menu and system won't boot.
> How do I remove FreeBSD boot manager from MBR? I didn't
> find any docs in man fdisk or boot0cfg.

You mean the "F1 prompt" is garbled? You could, technically, remove the
loader but I don't think there's a tool for it; you can replace it with
something else, or mark the partition non-active. In any case you'll
need to boot from a live / fixit CD, then either use fdisk, boot0cfg or
some other way (I had nice experiences with sysutils/extipl) to replace
the boot loader.