INET6 -- and why I don't use it

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Mar 10 12:31:44 UTC 2008

On Sunday 09 March 2008 20:41:51 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: JoaoBR <joao at matik.com.br>
> > Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:19:33 -0300
> >
> > your computer will or better CAN use ipv6 when it is on a ipv6 network
> > and nothing else, ipv6 WILL NOT come eventually available on your ipv4
> > network (unless it's address space change ...)
>
> I'm unclear on the last sentence. I can assure you that IPv6 WILL come
> to your IPv4 network. It's not 'if' but 'when'. I am regularly amazed to
> see the number of people who bury their heads in the sand and claim it
> won't.

Hi
I am not saying that ipv6 is not coming but I am saying that as long as your
network is ipv4 you do not need to care

> > this has nothing to do with vista or dawn, this is a routing issue and
> > as long as you are NOT on a ipv6 network you do NOT need ipv6 on our
> > machine, still beeing able to access ipv6 networks ... as weel as ipv6
> > networls can access ipv4 networlks guys, if not so all this ipv[4|6]
> > stuff wouldn't make any sense ...
>
> Whether you need to or not, you WILL have it if you run Vista. Read up
> on Teredo tunnels. You can turn this off on Vista, but it is on by
> default and every Vista system not configured to turn it off WILL run
> IPv6 regardless of what network it is connected to.

well, fedora and FreeBSD also but you do not need it, windows does install
netbeui netbios and simlare things by default which you do not neeed either
on the internet and probably will disable or uninstall them

> Whether you need IPv6 is debatable. If you want to see the Kame dancing
> turtle, you will need IPv6. There are a very few specialized locations
> that are IPv6-only, but they are of little or no general interest. None
> the less, if you have Vista up and running or FreeBSD with the
> appropriate setup (6to4), your can reach them even if your network
> connection is IPv4 only.

I am not sure if this correct, ipv4 to ipv6 and viceversa is be done by TRT
(RFC3142) routers which are supposed to run on the border of such networks or
by whom provides both protocols, as enduser you do not need to care about
connectivity to each protocol

> I'm afraid I couldn't parse the latter part of this paragraph. (Still,
> your English is far better than my Portuguese.)

:) then let's stay with it

I think it is very easy, you need ipv6 when you are on or connected to an ipv6
network, otherwise not

> FWIW, I run a full production IPv6 network and have been working with
> IPv6 since it was still being developed by the IETF.  It's far from
> perfect and, in fact, I am quite disappointed on how it came out, but it
> is what it is and, as of today, it is the only game in town that can
> move us to beyond the end of IPv4 address space availability. Live with
> it or live in the expensive past. (IPv4 addresses will soon get
> very expensive as the supply runs out.)

well, I guess the question is not if it works or not but when and where you
need it

--

João