FreeBSD 7 buildworld error

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Fri Mar 7 17:36:12 UTC 2008

Jason Evans wrote:
>> cc1 was only trying to request 130MB, my datasize is 512MB, why did it
>> fail?
>
> It looks to me like gcc is trying to allocate a single 130MiB object,
> but you don't say anything about how much memory is already in use.  It
> may well be that there are no remaining places in the memory map to
> place such a large object.
>
> Jason

The machine is a pretty lightly loaded, but low physical mem box.  64mb
ram, 384mb of swap normally, with an additional 2gb of swap to a file
added for my buildworld attempt.

Mem: 20M Active, 5604K Inact, 27M Wired, 2876K Cache, 14M Buf, 3064K Free
Swap: 2432M Total, 21M Used, 2411M Free

15901 root        1 115    0 12640K 11628K RUN      2:22 86.96% cc1

Thats while building tree-ssa-ccp.c.  How do I test out your theory?
(Short of watching top while doing the build.)

Josh C