BTX on USB pen drive

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 7 15:01:21 UTC 2008

Vincent Mialon wrote:

> The boot selector is shown and I can choose between the two images that
> nanobsd generated. When it times out BTX crash with very fast scrolling
> lines. When I shutdown I can see "BTX Halted" with processor registers
> written on the screen. I tried different ways to bypass this error using grub
> but when the kernel is launched, grub (or the kernel) crashes (even with a
> GENERIC kernel).

Hi,

It is known that the default boot loader (BTX) can have problems with
various configuration that somewhat deviate from what was the standard
many years ago when it was written. For example, it sometimes fails for
me to boot from hardware RAID arrays (twice so far), etc. In all cases,
using sysutils/extipl helped - it's an alternative boot loader and it
works for me on both i386 and amd64. Install FreeBSD where you want it
as usual, then run extipl on the boot device to install its default
setup (if you're installing from a CD media, run the fixit shell, mount
and chroot into the newly installed system, install extipl from ports,
change sysctl kern.geom.debugflags to 16, run it). I didn't need to
tweak any of its advanced settings.