INET6 -- and why I don't use it

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Mar 6 00:00:28 UTC 2008

> >> concerns cited over some of the security aspects of the protocol.  I
> >> also remember reading somewhere that IPv6 was supposed to address
> >> issues
> >> like packet spoofing and DoS -- what became of this?
> >
> > 	Someone was feeding you a load of horse @$$!.
>
> When Marcus Ranum is one of those questioning its security, I'm
> inclined to believe him.  (Google "mjr ipv6 security" --- his point
> in a nutshell is that we're going to be fixing old IPv4 holes in new
> guises for a while.)

	Unless you implement BCP 38 you won't prevent spoofed packets
	leaving your network.  Nothing prevents someone injecting
	spoofed packets.  It's just a matter of how far they travel.

	Unless you enable IPSEC for all your communication partners
	you won't be able to detect spoofed packets arriving.

	There is nothing anyone can really do to prevent a DoS attack.

	These statements are as true for IPv4 as they are for IPv6.

	IPv6 still has a MUST against IPSEC against this though people
	are arguing that it should become a SHOULD.  That MUST indicates
	code support not enabling.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC