kernel backup on 7.0

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 5 13:16:05 UTC 2008

James López (BLuEGoD) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have FreeBSD 7.0 on my server but due to troubles with sendfile (I
> don't know why, but when I run a configure script checking for that
> function it shows a "segmentation fault" and I can't make my web server
> run well), also because of some accidentally I will reinstall freebsd.
>
> So I would like to know if I can make some kind of backup to the kernel
> because it was modified and recompiled, so perhaps if I backup the boot
> files wouldn't need to compile it again... How can I do that? is
> possible? Its a matter of time.. I will have a short time to do the
> reinstall :S

If I understand you correctly, you're asking if you can have a "backup
kernel" when you build a new one?

Yes, and it's the default behaviour. Every time you do a "make
installkernel" (it's integrated into "make kernel"), the old kernel gets
saved in /boot/kernel.old with all its modules. In addition to that, you
can have an arbitrary number of different kernels in the root/boot file
system. To switch between the kernels, escape to loader prompt on the
boot menu, type "help" to see available commands (you'll probably use
"unload", "load" and "boot", in this order).