7.0-Release and 3ware 9550SXU w/BBU - horrible write performance

alan bryan alan.bryan at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 18:06:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've got a new server with a 3ware 9550SXU with the
Battery.  I am using FreeBSD 7.0-Release (tried both
4BSD and ULE) using AMD64 and the 3ware performance
for writes is just plain horrible.  Something is
obviously wrong but I'm not sure what.

I've got a 4 disk RAID 10 array.

According to 3dm2 the cache is on.  I even tried
setting The StorSave preference to "Performance" with
no real benefit.  There seems to be something really
wrong with disk performance.  Here's the results from
bonnie:

File './Bonnie.2551', size: 104857600
Writing with putc()...done
Rewriting...done
Writing intelligently...done
Reading with getc()...done
Reading intelligently...done
Seeker 1...Seeker 2...Seeker 3...start
'em...done...done...done...
             -------Sequential Output--------
---Sequential Input-- --Random--
             -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per
Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec
%CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
         100  9989  4.8  6739  1.0 18900  7.8 225973
98.5 1914662
99.9 177210.7 259.7

Any ideas?  Anybody have one of these that's working
with FreeBSD 7?