What's new on the 127.0.0/24 block in 7?

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Tue Mar 4 03:24:08 UTC 2008

Quoting Andy Dills <andy at xecu.net>:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Chris H. wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I'm having some difficulty working with anything past 127.0.0.1.
>> It seems impossible to use (create) any addresses on the "loopback"
>> past 127.0.0.1.
>> More specifically; I installed rbldnsd from ports, and it worked quite
>> well on a 6.x install. However, attempting the same config/install on
>> a 7-RC3 install yields the inability to bind/create 127.0.0.2, or
>> 127.0.0.3 for rbldnsd to answer on - all queries are refused. The
>> same pinging/digging, etc.
>>
>> The 2 servers have /exactly/ the same net setups, and DNS/rbldnsd
>> configs. Yet no joy on the RELENG_7 box. So it /appears/ something
>> in this area has changed since 6. But I'm unable to discover any
>> info on it.
>>
>> Thank you for all your time and consideration.
>
> What subnet mask did you use when creating the 127.0.0.2 (etc) interfaces
> on lo0?
>
> On 7.0-R, I just ifconfig'ed 127.0.0.2 as an alias to lo0 with a subnet
> mask of 255.255.255.255, and I was able to bind/listen/accept on it with
> no problem.

Indeed. I have several /24's to manage, and alias the bulk of them to
the NIC on the server(s). But, having /identical/ configurations/setups
of FreeBSD, and rbldnsd on two different servers; the recent RELENG_6
server desires/requires no alias on lo0, and happily provides a 127.0.0/24
While the same setup on a 7-RC3 will only provide 127.0.0.1. Which
brings me to my original question; What's different on 7 regarding the
127.0.0/24 block?

Thank you very much Andy, for taking the time to respond.

--Chris H

> Andy
>
> ---
> Andy Dills