PAUSE support for Ethernet interfaces ?

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 01:16:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:41:07AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
 > Hi!
 >
 > I'm researching the topic of PAUSE counters (receiving side) for
 > FreeBSD systems.
 >
 > That's a sort of flow control with ethernet, see e.g.:
 >
 > http://www.techfest.com/networking/lan/ethernet3.htm#3.2.1
 >
 > Cisco switches seem to receive and count them, which helps
 > to find short-term (seconds) overloaded links.

FreeBSD has no such framework in mii layer yet so it's completely
up to driver. em(4) handles flow-control in driver so it can handle
flow-control.

 > Can FreeBSD 6.x or 7.x handle PAUSE frames, at least receiving them ?

Receiving pause frames have no problem on any driver but most
drivers does not respond with the pause frames. AFAIK marius@ has
a flow-control patch so I guess FreeBSD will have generic
flow-control capability which will make it available on all ethernet
drivers with minor modification.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon