ad0 READ_DMA TIMEOUT errors on install of 7.0-RELEASE

Richard Tector richardtector at thekeelecentre.com
Sun Mar 2 13:55:03 UTC 2008

This is just a 'me too'.

I've experienced the following on 2 seperate and very different i386
systems:

ad4: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=1520671
ad4: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (0 retries left) LBA=1520671
ad4: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=1520671

That was on an Intel i815 based board running a Celeron 1.3 but with a
Highpoint HPT370 IDE RAID controller. The above disk is a Seagate
Barracuda 7200.10 80GB, and one of a pair (both have the same problem).
The error occurs just after disk detection at the end of the boot where
normally it would mount / and start running rc

The second system is a Dual P3 Serverworks system with an IBM 60GXP
Deskstar 40GB disk connected to the onboard UDMA33 controller.

Disabling DMA in loader.conf does the trick and allows both machines to
boot.

I have tried different drive combinations and controllers but to no avail.

Neither of the systems are required for use just at the moment, so I'm
quite happy to test patches once they're available, or provide further
details as required.

Regards,

Richard Tector