Very large kernel

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sat Mar 1 23:53:15 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 06:11:53PM +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> KK> Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> KK> > I noticed that the kernel directory was very large compaired to 6.1. Is
> KK> > this for debugging and can I safely remove the symbols files I want to
> KK> > save some space?
> KK>
> KK> Yes but if you encounter a panic and need to submit a bug report then you
> KK> will need at least the kernel.debug and whatever modules you are using.
>
> What about gzipping .symbol files by default?
>
> It decreases symbol files size in about 50-60%, so i386 GENERIC kernel
> directory shrinks from 125m to 74m...

I like this idea. The root is usaly small. In edition they could be
removed from kernel.old when updating by default.
--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.

Howtos based on my personal use, including information about
setting up a firewall and creating traffic graphs with MRTG
http://alex.kruijff.org/FreeBSD/