7.0-STABLE amd64 kernel trap during boot-time device probe

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Mar 1 22:56:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 02:44:04PM -0500, Jeff Blank wrote:
>I posted this around 3 months ago and never received a response.  the
>problem still occurs with 7.0-STABLE (csup on 20080301).  I possibly
>incorrectly referred to it as a panic last time, when the problem was
>really a trap.

A trap triggering a panic is still a panic.

>I've upgraded my AMD64 box from RELENG_6 (csup on Nov. 30) to RELENG_7
>(csup around 01:30 UTC Dec. 7) and am getting a kernel panic when I
>try to boot with seemingly any one module specified in
>/boot/loader.conf (XXX_load=YES).  It seems to occur near the end of
>device probing, just before it detects the disks.

This is likely to be when the loaded modules get probed.

>Here is console output from the panic and partial dmesg output from
>the successful boot (similar up to a point, some context included).  I
>couldn't get my serial port to accept input at the debugger prompt,
>and my keyboard (USB) can't even "Press a key on the console to
>reboot" when I have a non-ddb/kdb/etc kernel, so I couldn't do
>anything once I got into the debugger.  Hopefully what's below has
>some useful information--if not, I'll be happy to try to get it.

Without at least a backtrace, the only information that can be
gleaned is that mtx_lock_sleep() is dereferencing a NULL pointer.
This isn't much help.

>options GDB
>and set hint.sio.0.flags="0x80" in /boot/device.hints.  What am I
>missing to allow serial input when the debugger starts?

This means that the serial port is expecting to talk to a remote GDB
session, not a serial console.  You probably want:
- 'hint.sio.0.flags="0x10"' [no 'set'] in /boot/device.hints
- '-Dh' in /boot.config

Doing a verbose boot would probably also help.

--
Peter Jeremy