Current status of support for high end SAN hardware

Mark Saad msaad at datapipe.com
Sun Jun 8 21:26:20 UTC 2008

Andy
  I am currently using HP MSA1500cs SAN setups on FreeBSD 7 and 6.3
using qlogic cards in HP DL380G4 and G5 servers. I am not yet using
multipath fiber channel which is supported in 7 and I want to test this
out soon.  As for Redhat ES 4 and 5 I am also using the same hardware
setup , I have to say that RedHat ES4 works better for me the
Enterprise 5 .  ES5 has some odd ball networking issues, when you
upgrade from say update 0 -> 1 or 1 -> 2. For some reason Redhat decided
that it needed to remove your configs for eth0 as part of the upgrade.
I would say to look at using 64Bit FreeBSD 7-RELEASE and ZFS as the
filesystem on the SAN. ZFS is hands down better then EXT3+LVM .