challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Fri Jun 6 01:04:23 UTC 2008

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I think that's an unfair characterization.  He stated that he had
> noted numerous bugs in 6.3 (submitted PRs) that he perceived affected
> him personally and so he chose not to update to 6.3.  He then asked if
> 6.2 couldn't be extended farther.  That seems like a reasonable
> question to ask.  A simple, professional answer would have settled the
> matter quickly.

Part of the problem is that a few of us (including myself) *have* looked
for the PRs he referenced and can't find them.  There are only three
critical PR's opened on the hardware devices he mentioned that are filed
specifically against version 6.3: one each for bge, gmirror, and 3ware.
Of those, one of them appears to be sporadic, one of them appears to be
specific to a particular obscure BIOS, and one of them involved a
specific dual-card setup on a specific type of motherboard. And none of
those *specifically* say that they cannot be reproduced on 6.2 -- one of
them is actually filed against version 5 through 7.  Since we also know
very little about the specific hardware setup of the OP, it's impossible
to determine if these are, in fact, the PRs he's looking at, or if he's
actually looking at other less-critical PRs that may need to be bumped
up to critical, or if they're misfiled, or who knows what.

In short, the problem reports that the OP is looking at are not
immediately obvious to someone who doesn't already know what they are,
and he's not doing himself any favors by insisting that everyone else
"already knows" about these problems.  If he's seen these bug reports,
presumably he knows what their PR #'s are, or at the very least the
description of the bugs, and it would be many many times faster for him
to just say so than continue to insist that other people read his mind.

--Mike