mystery: lock up after fs dump

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Jun 4 15:33:49 UTC 2008

on 04/06/2008 18:23 Kostik Belousov said the following:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 06:07:47PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
[snip]
>> dumps are done on live filesystems using -L.
[snip]
>> 4. both systems have gjournal support (on 6.X it is added via a
>> "non-official" patch), there are gjournaled filesystems on both systems
>> and they are dumped.
>
> Do you use snapshots on the gjournaled fs ? I believe this is problematic.

Yes, I do via dump -L. I don't otherwise (no mksnap_ffs).
I had some thoughts about that.
But... I remember discussing this on geom list and I think pjd said that
this should work and also it worked for me flawlessly except for that
one moment.
BTW, those filesystems are mounted like the following:
ufs, asynchronous, local, noatime, gjournal
This is to say that I do not mix gjournal and softupdates, which is also
possible (at least not prohibited).

--
Andriy Gapon