unable to use gmirror on supermicro 5015b-mt

ian j hart ianjhart at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 23 23:18:25 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 23:06:39 Clifton Royston wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:23:52PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
>
> > As I suspected, no takers :)
> >
> > "Fix".
> >
> > In /boot/loader.conf
> >
> > hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
> >
> > This allows kldload without hang. I'm sure that this fix will allow me to
> > configure a mirror. I'll post back if I'm wrong.
>
>   OK, but *probably* this is an indicator that you need to either
> replace the cable (think you said you've tried that) or replace the
> motherboard.

I tried a 40 wire cable. That's a different test than trying a new (80 wire)
cable.

> If the cable is known-good and the other components are
> known-good, and it won't run with DMA on supported hardware, something
> is seriously wrong with this particular board and odds are too high
> that it will die horribly later.

What are the odds that I bought five systems with exactly the same fault?

To avoid tempting fate I should say I only tried "the fix" one one box so far.
I'm really not that worried tho'.

> (Not to mention that you'll be
> hammering your CPU just to get lousy throughput out of it.)

Given that the CDROM (DVD if we're being pedantic) will probably get no use at
all, ever, I'm not that worried about it's throughput.

--
ian j hart