unable to boot 7.0-RELEASE cdrom on supermicro 5015b-mt

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 22 16:37:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:27:52PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
> Same hardware as my other thread.
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015B-MT.cfm
>
> [using 2Gb RAM and SATA in legacy mode]
>
> I'd like to focus only on making the CDROM boot complete.

> 6.2-RELEASE	works okay, no AHCI support
> 6.3-RELEASE	works okay
> 7.0-RELEASE	hangs
> 7.0-STABLE-200806-SNAPSHOT	hangs
> 8.0-CURRENT-200806-SNAPSHOT	hangs
>
> I thought I could do a binary search using the current snapshot boot-only CDs
> but they only go back to March. Are there any older ones available?

Have you tried disabling ACPI to see if it makes any sort of difference?

Also, AHCI should work just fine on those systems -- I know because I
have fairly extensive experience with Supermicro hardware, although what
you're using is newer than what I presently have.  I don't know why
you're setting Compatible/Legacy mode on your controller (you mention
doing this in your other thread as well).

Below is what we use on our systems; factory defaults, then make the
following changes.  (The G-LAN1 OPROM option you can do whatever you
want with -- it's specific to our environment).

* Main
    * Date
         --> Set to GMT, not local time!!!
    * Serial ATA
         --> SATA Controller Mode --> Enhanced
         --> SATA AHCI --> Enabled

    * Boot Features
         --> Quiet Mode --> Disabled
         --> Enable Multimedia Timer --> Enabled
    * PCI Configuration
         --> Onboard G-LAN1 OPROM --> Disabled
         --> Large Disk Access Mode --> Other
    * Advanced Processor Options
         --> Intel(R) Virtualization Technology --> Enabled
         --> C1 Enhanced Mode --> Enabled