FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Sun Jul 20 18:16:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:30:57PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Will FreeBSD 7.1 be released in time to use it as an upgrade to
> close the BIND cache poisoning hole? We'd like to upgrade affected
> servers to the latest FreeBSD at the same time that we upgrade
> BIND if possible.

  Given that 7.1 and 6.4 are still listed as "August" in the RE page,
and things often slip a bit as the date approaches, I'd say you'd be
well-advised not to wait.  Assuming you're running 7.0 or 6.3, upgrade
to the latest _RELENG patch which is much less work than a full version
upgrade.

  My opinion only.  I'm not a developer, and I'm not running any
recursive resolvers on BIND these days; my limited set of machines are
running djbdns instead, so I have more flexibility.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/