Fresh 7.0 Install: Fatal Trap 12 panic when put under load

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Wed Jul 16 15:12:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:38 AM, John Sullivan <john at basicnets.co.uk> wrote:

>> Could be memory, but I'd also suggest looking at
>> temperatures. I've had overheating systems produce lots of
>> such errors.
>
> Temperature is fine - it never get's that hot here in the UK ;-)  Seriously, I put my hand in the box, touched a few heat sync's, it
> is not running hot enough to cause a problem.  The BIOS reports that all is well with the temperature inside the box of just over 30
> degrees C.
>
> John

This looks like the same panic I reported yesterday but I'm running
6.3 patch 2.  I have seen these crashes on my box since 6.3
pre-release, randomly, but under load.  My box is based on a
SuperMicro motherboard running Intel Xeon processors.  The only
commonality is that we're both using Sata drives.

John, a question, how is swap set up on your system?  I was swapping
to a file (a memory disk device /dev/md0).  I was doing this because
for some reason lost in ancient history, this machine was not set up
with a real swap partition.  Hence, no crash dump.

Last night I repartitioned a second disk, set up a real swap partition
and now I'm currently waiting for this to happen again so I can get a
crash dump.

Michael Grant