taskqueue timeout

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jul 16 03:34:13 UTC 2008

Andrew Snow wrote:

>  From Western Digital's line of "enterprise" drives:
>
> "RAID-specific time-limited error recovery (TLER) - Pioneered by WD,
> this feature prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive
> error-recovery processes common to desktop drives."

> Therefore I think the FreeBSD timeout should also be set to 8 seconds
> instead of 5 seconds.  Desktop-targetted drives will not respond for
> over 10 seconds, up to minutes, so its not worth setting the FreeBSD
> timeout any higher.

Interesting you say this. To reiterate, I have /boot on USB thumb drive,
and the system is mounted from / on a raidz pool called /storage via
loader.conf.

The four drives in question (per the packaging) are:

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB
- 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

Per the packaging on the rest of the hardware:

# mobo
- XFX 610i, 7050 GeForce (I *never* use graphics on my FreeBSD boxen, I
*only* know/have CLI with no 'windows')

# memory
- 2 GB Corsair XMS2 Twin2X 6400C4 memory

# cpu
- Intel Pentium DC E2200 2.20GHz OEM
- 2.20 GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, Dual Core, OEM, Socket
775, Processor

# swap
- I don't run any, but can/will add in an IDE/ATA 7200 200GB in the
event this problem may be related to ZFS/RAM issues.

Steve