Multi-machine mirroring choices

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jul 15 15:56:22 UTC 2008

Pete French wrote:
 > I am not the roiginal poster, but I am doing something very similar and
 > can answer that question for you. Some people get paranoid about the
 > whole "single point of failure" thing. I originally suggestted that we buy
 > a filer and have identical servers so if one breaks we connect the other
 > to the filer, but the response I got was "what if the filer breaks?".

You install a filer cluster with two nodes.  Then there is
no single point of failure.

I've done exactly that at customers of my company, i.e.
set up NetApp filer clusters.  Any disk can fail, any shelf
can fail, any filer head can fail.  A complete filer can
fail.  A switch can fail.  The system will keep running
and doing its job.  And yes, we've tested all of that.

Whether filers solve your problems is a different thing.
I just pointed out the answer to the question "what if the
filer breaks?".  I'm not a NetApp salesman.  ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden