Looking for a GPT-aware boot manager

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 03:09:05 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm attempting quad-boot my notebook with STABLE and CURRENT, both
i386 and AMD64. I installed them manually by booting from a thumb
drive, partitioning the hard disk and extracting the distributions
from ISO images that I had stored on an external hard drive. My disk
layout is as follows:

ad0p1  boot
ad0p2  freebsd, partitioned with disklabel for 7.0/AMD64
ad0p2a 7.0 AMD64 root
ad0p2d 7.0 AMD64 /var
ad0p2f 7.0 AMD64 /usr
ad0p3  freebsd, partitioned with disklabel for 7.0/i386
ad0p3a 7.0 i386 root
ad0p3d 7.0 i386 /var
ad0p3f 7.0 i386 /usr
ad0p4  freebsd, partitioned with disklabel for 7.0/AMD64
ad0p4a 8.0 AMD64 root
ad0p4d 8.0 AMD64 /var
ad0p4f 8.0 AMD64 /usr
ad0p5  freebsd, partitioned with disklabel for 7.0/AMD64
ad0p5a 8.0 i386 root
ad0p5d 8.0 i386 /var
ad0p5f 8.0 i386 /usr
ad0p6  freebsd, partitioned with disklabel for all
ad0p6b swap
ad0p6d /temp
ad0p6e /local

The problem now is that I don't have a boot manager capable of
selecting a partition to boot from. The FreeBSD boot manager (boot0)
does not recognize GPT. I atempted to pass "0:ad(0p3)/boot/loader" to
gptboot but had no success.

I did a lot of googling and even attempted to read the source code of
gptboot but could not figure out how to solve the problem, so any help
will be appreciated.

--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only
because you lack sufficient imagination.